I eeked in finishing Rabbit’s Nest Redoubt right before the end of the year, so it’s my final finish of 2015. I have one more finish from 2015 which still needs photographing and blogging, then I will be solidly in 2016 and able to reveal my first finish of 2016!
This one started with a freezer paper pieced rabbit which I quickly sketched up one evening before piecing it the next morning. I wanted to do a landscape with rounded corners, so I planned that aspect from the beginning, but those were the only specific constraints I established early on.
I started on the horizon using my three brown fabrics. (You’ll be hearing more about brown fabrics soon I’d anticipate!) The horizon helped me visualise more clearly how the rest of the quilt was going to be laid out. I was able to determine based on the size of the rabbit I would proportionally be able to make the quilt narrower than the standard width of quilting cotton, which would be helpful later on when adding the backing!
Next, I started on the clouds. I wanted them to be atmospheric and give the impression of clouds while still embracing the patchwork nature of quilting. I made a lot of low volume wonky wedges, as well as squares and HSTs, and then started moving them around to my liking. The process was similar to my approach when piecing my Green Swallow Sommelier top; I started with more structural elements, followed by filling in the gaps. I also had some fun with bias strips!
For the bottom half, I wanted to make circular shapes to give a loose “nest” visual (more fun with bias strips). It turned out I didn’t have as many mustard and olive greens as I thought so the red orange became less of an accent than anticipated at the start. Now I like to think of it as subterranean magma.
The quilting was done in many different coordinating colours using the dual feed on my machine as usual, and is a mix of petal shapes, as well as matchstick filler and a geometric chevron design I came up with for filling in wedges.
Contrasting binding would be too border-like and not beneficial to this design, so I went super scrappy and carefully matched up the horizon. I am satisfied with how this turned out, and you’ll see I used a similar binding aesthetic for my next finish!
Title: Rabbit’s Nest Redoubt
Dimensions: 40″ x 66″
Pattern: Original design
Completed: December 2015