Seasonal Stereotype detail

I have a ridiculous backlog of quilts to photograph this point…. I took some quilts along on holiday thinking I would get a chance to take some photos then, but it was blindingly sunny the entire time.  Home again and there was a finally a bit of cloud cover today so I made a small dent in my to do list.  The images for this quilt are kinda long.  It’s a long quilt.  Sorry if they are hard to look at on smaller monitors.

Seasonal Stereotype (Pink Turkey No. 3)

I was looking back to link to previous posts about this one, but I couldn’t find any.  I guess I have only been posting about it on Instagram…  It’s a wall hanging I suppose, which is not my favourite thing as usefulness goes, but I wanted to try out a new technique and it was limited by the width of the freezer paper, so 18 inches.  I am somewhat satisfied with the result, and it was nice to try something new, but I don’t think I’ll be making another like this again.  At least not using only this method.  It took much longer than anticipated (don’t they all).

Quilt Stats
Title: Seasonal Stereotype (Pink Turkey No. 2)
Dimensions: 18″ x 40″
Pattern: Original design
Completed: September 2015

Seasonal Stereotype (Pink Turkey No. 3) back

First photo of a quilt back from me?  Maybe.  I wanted to use this pink and orange orchid fabric, but it was not quite long enough to have the orchids facing the correct direction, so I whipped up some flying geese for the break.  It still needs a label.

Seasonal Stereotype (Pink Turkey No. 3) detail

This picture was meant to be a detail but I guess it’s not much closer up than the full shot.  I am not a photographer.

I haven’t decided what to do about “Bonus Features” yet, but in the past two weeks I was able to start and finish a new quilt, which I am calling “Morality.”  It’s somewhat smaller than my other quilts, which may be why I was able to finish it so quickly.

I started by piecing a large houndstooth background, which would’ve been a lot less confusing if rabbits didn’t move all the pieces every time I turned my back…

Houndstooth Piecing

Then I added an applique of a turkey in a houndstooth suit! The quilting is free-motion stippling on the turkey’s face, and then a kind of organic wavy line/dogwood pattern for everywhere else.

For the back I pieced together 4 large strips of coordinating fabrics, and the binding is this mustard and black floral that I seem to like using for everything recently….

I haven’t gotten around to washing off the guides I drew for the quilting yet, but other than that, this one’s a wrap!

Tomato and Peppers

I can’t believe it has been almost a month since I have updated here!  I did not feel like I had a whole lot to show for it, but when outlining what to write in this post, I discovered I do have quite a few things to mention…

Bonus Features Sneak Peek

On the quilting front, I pieced the back and purchased batting for the flattened roast quilt, which is tentatively titled “Bonus Features.”  I still have a bit more to do on the top before I’m ready to put it all together, but there is definitely some progress being made here.  Also, I’m quilting the t-shirt quilt!  I’m hand quilting in a pattern I am calling “willy nilly.”  It is rather sparse as quilting goes, especially compared to White Turkey No. 3, but it will still be a bit before I finish and get to binding.  Also, I am using up the scraps to make a rug for Yuri and Chalupa.  Chalupa is intent on destroying every other rug we have, so it makes sense that he should have his own…

T-Shirt Scraps